Feeble Knees

Friday, August 19, 2005

33 Weeks Down, No More Than 7 to Go

Well, it's officially official that one way or another, I will definitely have a baby on or before October 3rd.

At our last OB visit the doc told us that I will not be allowed to go past my due date. So there it is. In one way I really like knowing that there won't be any guessing or prolonged waiting. I don't know why I find that comforting and reassuring, but I do, for some strange reason.

After week 35 we'll be going to the hospital 2x a week for non-stress tests, which, from what I understand, consist of hanging around while hooked up to a fetal monitor for twenty to thirty minutes to see how the little guy is doing. Based on that and other details, we'll determine whether I'll be allowed to go into labor or whether there'll be some sort of intervention (inducement, c-section, etc.)

It still doesn't seem quite real to me, so I'm not quite all that concerned about it yet. I figure we're in good hands and whatever needs to happen will happen. I'm trusting. It's quite amazing.

In the meantime I keep waiting for that wonderful nesting instinct thing to kick in. There's a lot I'd like to get accomplished, but the energy just isn't there. I did finally manage to attack some weeds out around the rose bushes yesterday. Wore myself out pretty quickly doing that, especially since bending down isn't something I really excel at anymore.

Every morning I stare at this belly of mine and marvel at how much it seems to be growing, even overnight. It's rather cute, if I do say so myself. Baby F has settled into a position that he apparently likes, since he hasn't shifted very much in the last few weeks. Though he did seem kind of annoyed my attempts to prompt him to kick by poking him in the back - he tolerated it for a few pokes, then slowly started shifting away towards the left. Clearly he's a guy who likes to do things on his own time & in his own way. :)

He's been a good tenant, all things considered. He hasn't kicked me in the ribs (yet) or really made too much of a fuss in there. It would seem he's kind of mellow really, and boy wouldn't it nice if that turned out to be true?

It's amazing to think there are only a few weeks left to wonder over so many questions. It's only a few more weeks now that I get to have him all to myself; only a little while longer and then I'll have to share him with the world. I don't know if I'm ready for that...

* * *


On a somewhat related note:

Maybe it's the hormones, maybe it's just the way I am, but I can neither see nor read a birth story without being reduced to a soggy, sobbing mess of tears. It just gets me every time. This one got me yesterday, and I still tear up every time I think of it. Just beautiful stuff, an incredible story, so heartbreakingly beautiful.
<< Home

TrackBack URL for this post: http://haloscan.com/tb/feebleknees/112446796856012840