Feeble Knees

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

It's all about the pie

Getting in one more post today before I step into the nearest phone both, change into my super suit and become Pie Woman, Queen of the Oven.


The pie-making mantle has fallen to me this year. So in the tradition of my mother and grandmother before me, it is my task to make as many pies as possible in a 24 hour period. Thanksgiving, in my family, is not about the turkey so much as it is about eating several kinds of pie with every meal for the entire long weekend: pumpkin pie for breakfast, cherry pie for lunch, apple pie for dinner, and a sliver of mince for a late night snack. (Lemon meringue and blueberry are the auxiliary backup pies for those who fear there really is meat in the mince.)

If I believed in generational curses, I might think we needed to be delivered from the demon of pies, or that we have a stronghold of pastry worship somewhere in our lives. No my friends, we are just your old-fashioned, garden variety gluttons who are cursed with a gift for baking.

Apparently we are not alone in our obsession with pie. I just discovered there is an American Pie Council, and that January 23rd is National Pie Day. National Pie Day!?!!?? Now THERE'S a holiday I can dig. In addition to making pie, eating pie and having a "Pie Night", the APC recommends celebrating National Pie Day with these wholesome pie-related activities:

Sing pie songs, read pie books, quote pie poems, make pie charts.

If only every day were pie day! :)
<< Home

TrackBack URL for this post: http://haloscan.com/tb/feebleknees/110122340885299695