Feeble Knees

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

On Guard

Being seven weeks pregnant, I'm a little freaked out to read stories on CNN about recent attacks on pregnant women. Several weeks ago Bobbie Jo Stinnett was strangled by another woman who then ripped the baby from the dying woman's womb and kidnapped it, claiming it was her own.

Then just last week another pregnant woman was lured to her attacker's apartment where a struggle ensued. Thankfully the mother and baby survived and are ok, but that is because the mother killed her female attacker.

What the heck is going on?

Several months ago, I never would have thought about this sort of danger. Given the press that these two incidents received, it makes me wonder if there will be a rise in copycat attacks. I've lived in major cities alone and never carried mace, or a knife, or any other kind of weapon. I've been accosted, but thankfully never harmed. Single women living alone learn to mistrust any strange man on the street. Who would ever think to mistrust another woman, especially one who also appears to be pregnant?

Scary stuff.

Mr. F has already laid down the law: if anyone calls claiming to have a package, he'll be the one to retrieve it. I'm not a violent person by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm prepared to take out anyone who attempts to attack me or my child, and I won't feel bad about it. I would feel horrible for that person, for the choices that she made that would end in the destruction of her own life. But if attacked, I will retaliate, even to the death, and let God have mercy on whom He will have mercy.

Don't anybody mess with this mama!
<< Home

TrackBack URL for this post: http://haloscan.com/tb/feebleknees/110856961724645925