Feeble Knees

Friday, February 11, 2005

Playwright Arthur Miller Dead at 89

Arthur Miller was perhaps the quintessential American playwright, delving into and unearthing the secrets of the American psyche like no other.

One of the first stage dramas that ever captured my imagination was All My Sons. Long before I ever began studying drama, I saw Richard Kiley give a soul-rending performance as Joe Keller. It remains one of the single most unforgettable performances I've ever seen.

Countless High School students have read and continue to read The Crucible, the timeless tragedy about the dangers of oppression, fear and groupthink. Its message is as relevant today as it was at the height of the McCarthy hearings.

Through his work, Mr. Miller displayed an skillful ability to plumb the depths and darkness of the human condition. He wrote truth ferociously. He will be missed.
<< Home

TrackBack URL for this post: http://haloscan.com/tb/feebleknees/110813858354339626