Feeble Knees

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Beware of Glucose

I learned something somewhat important today. Apparently I am juuuuuust a bit sensitive to large amounts of glucose, as in within 15 minutes of consuming ten ounces of the icky bright orange stuff for my glucose screening test, I was ready to rip the face off of anyone who looked askance at me.

It was startling how fast my mood changed. It seemed to change mere minutes after I finished chugging the orange stuff down (which tastes like almost-but-not-quite-completely-flat orange soda). Poor Mr. F. I almost strangled him for asking me to repeat myself when he didn't quite catch something I said. (I tend to be soft-spoken, and it's not unusual for people to not quite hear what I say the first time). I found the sound of the radio so annoying that I wanted to bash it with a blunt object.

Driving to my OB appointment was a bit of a wild, white-knuckled affair. By then the glucose had really kicked in and I was jumpy, edgy and flighty all at once. Thankfully I managed to get to my appointment without incident. Mr. F was following behind, trying to keep up as I sped up through yellow lights and cut out into rotary traffic. Oh my.

When the doctor asked me how I was feeling, I said "very edgy", or something to that effect, and she smiled. Why didn't anyone warn me about this before? I guess it doesn't hit everyone the same way, but it isn't uncommon to feel jumpy, jittery or irritated after drinking the glucose. They took the blood sample & hopefully everything will be normal and I won't have to drink that awful stuff again. I could handle the taste of it just fine. The after effects I could really do without.
<< Home

TrackBack URL for this post: http://haloscan.com/tb/feebleknees/112126675415014592