Feeble Knees

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Bad Knee Week

So my lousy knees have been acting up quite a bit this week, which is no fun because I feel like an old lady at 33. This of course has me rethinking whether or not I'm doing the right thing by not having surgery (Details here).

Friday a friend asked how I was feeling and my response was "Eh!" Translated that means that I've been feeling more pain than I have been in a while, since I stopped physical therapy. Not excruciating pain, not debilitating pain, just a real wearing-on-me type of pain that gets more pronounced as the day goes on, particularly if I'm out running around or on my feet all day.

It still doesn't seem like it's major enough to warrant chopping a wedge out of each of my thighbones just above the knees, however. I can still walk, climb stairs (though I'm not supposed to do that too many times during a day). Had someone not pointed out to me that I shouldn't be feeling like this at age thirty-three, I would have just kept on chugging along thinking I was just getting older, and that's that.

Many athletes suffer injuries that cause more pain than this, and they end up living with it. (That is my latest tough-girl excuse). And goodness gracious we're not talking about cancer here. I've got sore knees all the time. Big whoop. As my grandmother used to say, "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye". As Mum still says: "Hey, if that's the worst thing that ever happens to you, you're doing well." (Yes, we're a family of optimists, aren't we?)

Later today we're going to a friend's house to watch some football (Go Patriots!) and maybe get a Christmas tree, thought it's looking more and more like we might punt on that idea this year. The weather seems to be clearing up and drying out a little, so that should give me a measure of relief, for now!

UPDATE: edit for clarity, show short excerpt on front page

<< Home

TrackBack URL for this post: http://haloscan.com/tb/feebleknees/110286123773752257