Feeble Knees

Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Visit to the Rheumatologist

Last week Mr. F stayed home with Bug and I drove into Boston to see a rheumatologist at Brigham & Womens hospital. Now we're just waiting for some results...

I have synovitis, which is another way to say inflammatory arthritis, in my hands, feet, hip and possibly other places as well. The good news is that it's not Lupus. The hopeful news is that it could possibly be a temporary symptom of a parvovirus infection (that would be the best news we could get). The bad news is that it could be rheumatoid arthritis.

The very nice rheumatologist also gave me cortisone injections in both wrists which has greatly helped what turned out to be tendonitis. He prescribed a dose of 2400 mg Ibuprofen a day (600mg/4x per day) and this has been helping too, though I can tell without looking at the clock when I'm about an hour away from needing another pill.

Last weekend, before my appointment, I developed really debilitating pain in my hip that was making it very difficult for me to walk at all, let alone carry and care for Bug. It was scary. It was hard not to think terribly depressing thoughts about what the future could hold. But we did our best to look on the bright side of things. And we prayed. And God helped. And today things are looking a little brighter, despite the uncertainty.

My follow up is in three weeks. Three weeks and we should have an answer, good or bad. Just praying for grace to handle whatever may be. God is faithful.
<< Home

TrackBack URL for this post: http://haloscan.com/tb/feebleknees/114160598221867326