Feeble Knees

Friday, December 17, 2004

Season's Greetings

I've thrown in the towel. I've about given up on sending message-heavy Christmas cards.

There was a time when I would turn my nose up at any Christmas cards that didn't contain scripture and a clear gospel message. This could be my only chance of reaching my unsaved family members, friends, and neighbors. So every year I dutifully went Christmas card shopping, analyzing each card for Biblical correctness, appropriately reverent artwork and message. Cards that depicted snowmen, penguins, cats, cartoons, Santa (especially Santa) were just not appropriate. Cards from me had to be spiritually and doctrinally perfect, so that the message might go forth!

Yet this year as I rifled through the displays, I found myself a little turned off. The tone of the cards ranged from mamby-pamby baby Jesus stuff to guerrilla gospel. Yeesh! What to do?

In years previous the only exceptions I'd make were for co-workers, Hindu and Jewish folks. Even at the height of my spiritual correctness I never sent heavy-message cards to these folks unless I knew it would not offend. Instead, I'd send them generic "Happy Holidays" type cards with a handwritten personal message wishing them health and happiness in the coming year. I'd feel guilty about making this concession, fearing that made me a coward and a bad witness. I asked God to forgive me and give me some other opportunity to share my faith with these individuals in a more personal way.

Anyway, this year being no different, I quickly found some suitably non-threatening generic Christmas cards. I just had to pick out my "message" cards. But nothing was jumping off the shelf at me. Too cutesy, too presumptive, too cartoony, too dark. Finally I settled on some relatively balanced ones with a message that was to-the-point but not whack-you-over-the-head-you-heathen. These would be OK for family and friends who know by now to expect such a card from me.

And yet when I sat down to write them all out, I found myself drawing from the generic pile more than the message pile. I caved. I decided to go the safe route. Give 'em what they want and don't argue.

This brought C.S. Lewis' "The Great Divorce" back to mind, specifically those folks who were transported literally to heaven themselves, and yet, after having a looksie around, decided it wasn't for them. I guess I get the same sense from some of my family members and friends. We've talked about the gospel before, they've heard all about Jesus but are all set, thanks. They politely decline Him, time and time again.

Maybe this is why I'm discouraged a little this season. This year is no different than it was on the day of the Lord's birth, if we are to judge by his humble accommodations. His appearance on the scene just didn't generate much interest in those who weren't already waiting and seeking for him. Some things never change.

<< Home

TrackBack URL for this post: http://haloscan.com/tb/feebleknees/110324928036014487