Feeble Knees

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Mangoes, Pink Lemonade, and Fried Egg Sandwiches

The pregnant life is at turns fascinating, boring, thrilling, and aggravating. Sometimes it's just downright bizarre.

I've been fortunate in that I haven't really had any full-blown morning sickness, but I have been having days lately where I just feel "queasy". That's the best way I can describe it. A friend recommended drinking Country Time® Pink Lemonade - sure enough, it helps. So do Preggie Pops, which I must admit I was pretty skeptical about, but they do help too.

Sleep has become the most important thing in my life, particularly since it's become impossible for me to sleep through the night uninterrupted. Every night between three-thirty and four-thirty AM we must get up and visit the loo. Then we must visit the refrigerator for a little snackie. We go back to bed and sleep through till the morning, but usually we're ready to collapse again around lunch. If we don't take a little nappy-time at noon, we are completely non compis mentis by three o'clock.

My food aversions are as strange as my cravings. I'd rather file a hundred tax returns than handle raw meat or poultry. The thought of touching meat to prepare it for cooking is completely repulsive. Considering that I normally love to cook and am known for my cooking (and complete aversion to filling out tax forms), this is pretty ironic. Last night I sat here staring at my refrigerator like it held a plague. It took everything in me to take that chicken out, unwrap it, put it in a pan and shove it in the oven. Even writing this sounds ridiculous, but that's how it was.

I've eaten more fried egg sandwiches in the last two weeks than I think I've consumed in my lifetime. Hopefully no one will be wanting to check my cholesterol levels any time soon. I find it odd that though I cringe at the thought of handling poultry, cracking an egg doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Mangoes are becoming a big favorite too, mangoes and bananas. I'm convinced this kid is trying telling us that s/he would like us to move to the tropics. Considering that we're about to get another five to six inches of snow for the second time this week, I could be talked into this.

My brain feels especially dull, I'm vaguely aware that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed lately. This may be why I haven't written in so long. Besides, I've been pretty absorbed with the whole pregnancy experience; I mean really, obsessively absorbed. While I might find it endlessly fascinating to look at sites like The Visible Embryo, I realize not everyone is as enthralled with looking at pictures of a thumbnail-sized alien-looking critter that only a mother could love.

But I feel bad for having been away from the blog for so long, and I will try to make more of an effort to get back into the swing of things. I can't promise coherent thoughts or interesting topics though, so please bear with me whilst I am in this "delicate condition". And I promise to try not to bore you to death with too many strange tales from the Pregnant Zone. Thanks!
<< Home

TrackBack URL for this post: http://haloscan.com/tb/feebleknees/110928572220335979