Feeble Knees

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Lucked Out

Our street is surrounded by a brook and marshes and yet somehow we didn't get flooded out. Amazing when you consider how close we are to the Merrimack, and how bad some people not too far from us have it.

My intrepid sidekick Bug and I ventured out this morning to see what we could see. To be honest, I think we're both stir crazy. I wouldn't otherwise venture out into the rain for no particular reason.

Many of the roads we tried to take were closed off - roads less than five miles from here. The National Guard is out in Hummers blocking some streets down near the river. It's a surreal experience, seeing roads you've traveled all your life roadblocked with military vehicles.

It's still amazing to me that our house and yard are fine. The yard is sopping wet, but the water only comes just up over my shoe. Other yards not far from here are completely submerged. Even houses that don't appear to be underwater have hoses running out the front door. The river is running high and fierce; in all my thirty five years I've never seen it so menacing.

For the first time in over a week we had a momentary break in the clouds an a tiny ray of sun shone through the clouds. It lasted about sixty seconds. I should have taken a picture of that, because it's raining again now. Hopefully the worst is past.
<< Home

TrackBack URL for this post: http://haloscan.com/tb/feebleknees/114778991755431455